Saturday, June 23, 2012

Off Script...

So I have to go 'Off Script' a little bit tonight...the beauty is that by shopping at Costco in bulk and budget I can do that with what is in my house.  I'm going to make BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches.  I will defrost 4 packs of the double breasts from Costco (which only means they will be on my list for my next trip).  I will cook them in simmering beer in a pan on the stove, or you can use water if you don't like the flavor of beer.  Cook them until they are done and then 'fork pull' them apart to shredded meat.  (This is also an inexpensive way to make chicken salad sandwiches!) Once you shred all of the meat you can put it in an oven safe dish and keep it warm in the oven at 175 degrees until your company shows up.  MAKE SURE YOU PUT A FARE AMOUNT OF THE COOKING LIQUID IN THE DISH to keep the chicken moist.
For the buns I'm going to make the French bread recipe in my bread maker.  When you make the 2lb loaf option you can get 6-8 good sized buns done, even though it doesn't look like it, they rise and get big even in the oven.  And once you have a homemade bun you will never go back to store bought!  My mouth is watering just thinking about them!  Put them on dough cycle and when you take it out break it apart into rounds and put on a baking sheet.  Let them rise for 30 mins and bake at 400 degrees for 22 mins.
For the BBQ sauce I'm not quite sure what I'm going to make yet...I will tell you it will be made with ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar and I might throw in some maple syrup.  I will let you know!

Everything from what I have in the house...I will be feeding about 8 adults and 2 kids for under $15 total!

Keep it simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment