Tuesday, June 19, 2012

$200 for 2 weeks worth of food...

So some are wondering how do I only spend $200 for 2 weeks worth of food for my family.  I don't know that I can answer that specifically but I can tell you how I came about trying it and keepin' it simple.  First of all, in watching all of the Extreme couponing shows I got motivated to try and cut down costs.  All that ended up doing was forcing me to drive to 3 different places, spend too much time trying to find every coupon possible, only to realize that most people on those shows are buying frozen foods, candy, top ramen type noodles, deoderant in travel sizes, and laundry detergent...really?!  The only intriguing part for me would be how to get free laundry detergent. So I tried shopping in markets for 4 months, looking at ads and cutting as many coupons, only to find that I could barely get out of the store at around $130-$150 per week!  So after 4 months it was time to try Costco.  I had to have a game plan - keep it right around $200...anything under would be a bonus.  However, the first time I went it would be a little higher because of purchasing toilet paper and paper towels, knowing that I probably wouldn't buy them at the same time again, because off setting them would help in keeping the budget at $200.  Two key tricks were - 1: My husband can't go with me 2:  Don't go hungry...if you go in hungry anticipating samples, you will buy more, so grab a hot dog on your way in!
When you find the Costco that best suits your needs stick with it.  I have been to 4 and have only found that the Costco at the Irvine District has the best for me: half and half, a great produce selection, and short lines except on the weekends!
My list includes: chicken breasts, whole chickens, hamburger meat, pork loins, frozen salmon filets, lunch meat, asparagus, artichokes, bananas, blueberries (if they are cheap), Chinese Chicken Salad, Artisan lettuce (buying lettuce still in 'head' form makes it last longer), 2 gallons of milk, 18 eggs, sour cream, half and half, whipping cream (for the homemade ice cream), yogurt, grated cheese, Florida's OJ, coffee, and sometimes one or two other items.  The produce lasts way longer than the grocery store, and the OJ, coffee, grated cheese and some of the meats I don't have to buy every 2 weeks, I can switch off if I still have the items at home.
When I get home I have some work to do:
*I separate the grated cheese into smaller bags and freeze some
*The ground beef I get as close to 6 pounds as possible and divide it into one pound bags and freeze
*The pork loins come 4 to a pack so I divide them individually and freeze because for a family of 3, we only eat 1 at a time
*blueberries I freeze whole into 1 cup sizes because I use them to make my easy blueberry muffins. 
*Chinese chicken salad is ALL freezable including the wontons and noodles

I have noticed by doing this I force us to eat more out of the house, it is healthier, easier, and I get more creative with what I already have in my house.

Let me know what you think and keep it simpme!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your field-tested research! From your other post, interesting to hear the Executive is actually better in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Executive definitely is IF you are using Costco as your regular market. Also if you use their other services ie Closet organizers you not only get a Costco cash card, you also get a percentage of your closet purchase back as well and California Closets which is what they use do a fabulous job!

      Delete