Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Lunch for dinner...or for lunch!

It's tomato time!  For those of you who were able to plant tomatoes this year, now is the time they are ripe and ready to go.  Last night my husband harvested (my favorite word for picked) a ton of tomatoes while my 1 1/2 year old ate one like an apple.  So the plan??  BLTAs tonight.  Here is what I'm going to do:
*The fresh bread is in the maker ready to go
*Slice the tomatoes 1/4" thick
*Cook the bacon: my least favorite part as I hate smelling like bacon when I'm done.  So I like to use the small Pampered Chef bar pan, put 6 pieces of bacon on it with some parchment paper on top and microwave it for 4-5 minutes, check and cook more as neeeded.  The mess is secluded to my microwave, it is crispy and perfect, and I don't smell like bacon fat! :)  Win win!  (If you need a small bar pan, let me know I'm always putting in an order)
*Mayonnaise: this can be so boring, but I found a great trick!  Mix a little mayo with some lemon juice.  Mix as much as you like for taste.  It keeps well if you make too much and it adds a nice twist on any boring sandwich!
*Avocado: yum yum!  Cut the avo in half lengthwise, using a butter knife, slice and scoop as if you are slicing butter. 
*Don't forget the lettuce!  I'm using Iceberg tonight for crunch, but sometimes fresh basil tickles my fancy more than lettuce!

Delish!  Keep it simple and cool.  With this recipe, you can make the bacon ahead and most importantly you don't have to heat up your oven or stove on these hot days!

No comments:

Post a Comment