Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I'm baaack....

How come in the 80s Poltergeist seemed like the scariest movie and now when you watch it, it is slightly ridiculous...right up there with Jaws...somehow now you see all of the 'fakeness' if you well (my mommy brain can't quite come up with the word I really want to use). 

Sorry gor the length of MIA (thank you Anne for nudging me for more!)...we have had guests come and go, friends' babies being born, 2 kids to chase after, and one sweet member of our family go off to college.  Ah the circle of life...

So has anyone been trying any of my recipes?  My goal is to have a daily post...hahaha...but to all of my FB friends, it may not get on FB everyday, so try and check back on my blog.  I have been repeating a few recipes that I have already posted ie the Chicken thighs with zucchini, feta, and olives.  For those who are a bit scared of kalamata olives, well you are missing out, but you would be able to make the dish without them and still have success.  This recipe is one that my husband always asks for me to make a ton because he loves it as leftovers for lunches!

Speaking of lunches, I believe there are many of you who want a quick, healthy way to have lunch, either at work, or at home, so this week of blogs is going to be centered more around lunches.  As an avid Pinterest person, I came across the salads in a Mason jar and tried one yesterday.  First of all they came out great, they were easy to make, and of course presentation was fun, but I do have some recommendations.  The layers are deceiving because as you are putting ingredients in they get high quickly which leads to less lettuce.  I was okay with that, but for those of you who like a more lettuce salad beware.  Also, you can shake them in the jar to dress them (sounds naughty), but I would recommend you have a plate or bowl to pour the contents into as the jar doesn't shake the ingredients well, just dresses everything.  So for those of you who aren't Pinterest people, or have seen them, here is what you do:
You need a quart size Mason jar, and all salad fixings that you want, here is what I did.  Start with the dresssing of your choice and put in on the bottom of the jar, the next layer needs to be a vegetable that is hardy, ie carrots or celery I did both, then I added cubed ham, mozzarella, and the lettuce.  I buy ham steaks at Costco, 3 large cooked steaks for $11, freeze two and use one to cube for salads.  Apparently these salads last for up to 6 days in the fridge, so you can make them on Sunday and have lunches for the week!  While I was at Costco, in the bakery section, they had some pita bread that I bought and froze so that I can have a piece of pita with the salad to add a little side.

Enjoy!

1 comment: